Welcome to Geng Duke Website

DUKECT = Duke Cycling Team
DUKERC = Duke Remote Control

Posted June 2, 2009

Earlier I wrote an article about the best ways to upgrade your road bike, and it sparked this question…

I was interested in your “Upgrade a Road Bike” column, as I am on one of the bikes mentioned, a Trek 2.1. Will upgrading the tires really make a noticeable difference? I’ve gotten about four flats as of late after about 1200 miles on the stock Bontrager tires and getting really frustrated, so better tires are appealing. But should I notice a big improvement in the ride, speed, etc? Looking at Continental 4000s… Thanks,
Tired Tim

Hi Tim,

Yes indeed, upgrading tires makes a huge difference. I’m not sure if you thought I was playing a practical joke on you, but I assure you, I speak the truth.

Going from a stock tire to a pro-level tire will offer many benefits. First, there is a big difference in road feel and ride quality. The good tires use fancy rubber compounds that yield a supple tire, making for a smooth “riding on air” feeling.

Second, the biggest improvement – cornering. Due to the amazing traction offered by the quality rubber, cornering is much more stable and therefore can be done much faster on good tires.

Speed in a straight line on a smooth, dry road will be virtually the same, but who rides on perfectly straight, perfectly smooth roads?

However, since the tire will be a little lighter, there could be a slight improvement in speed.

(*As for flat tires, I don’t consider those in a comparison unless you’re switching to a heavy-duty tire designed specifically for flat protection. The reason is, given the same conditions and riding style, any performance tire will be as susceptible to flats as any other.)

Any way you look at it, the upgraded tires are worth it.

I haven’t ridden the latest version of the low-end Bontrager tires, but the ones I rode in the past don’t even come close to nicer tires. Going from those to any brand of mid- to high-end tire is like night and day!

For $100, there’s no better investment than good tires and tubes. You’d get more improvements by going to tubular or tubeless wheels and compatible tires, of course, but that upgrade will cost you as much as (or more than) the Trek 2.1 cost you!

So my personal favorite upgrade is switching to Michelin Pro3 Race tires and Michelin latex tubes. Purchased on eBay, the cost is about $100. (Not that there’s anything wrong with a Continental 4000s, I’ve just been happy with Michelin.)

0 comments

Post a Comment

Ruangan cerita dongeng